Out in the community– I was pleased to join our Governor John Carney, Lt Governor Bethany Hall-Long, staff of the Delaware Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Domestic Violence Coordinating Council, and the students, Principal Michele Savage and staff of Shue-Medill Middle School this morning. We were there to witness the Governor sign his first Proclamation since taking office. The Proclamation declares February Teen Dating Violence Awareness & Prevention Month.
Shue-Medill Middle School was chosen for this event due to their strong student leadership and commitment to promoting healthy relationships in their school, community and beyond. They achieve this by adopting and following the Healthy Relationship Bill of Rights.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
– I have the right to privacy, both online and off
– I have the right to feel safe and respected
– I have the right to decide who to be friends with
– I have the right to decide who to date and if I want to date
– I have the right to set emotional, physical and digital boundaries in friendships and relationships
– I have the right to say no at anytime (to physical contact, alcohol, tobacco and drugs), even if I have said yes before
– I have the right to hang out with my friends and family and do things I enjoy, without my partner or friend getting jealous or controlling
– I have the right to end a relationship or friendship that isn’t healthy for me
– I have the right to live free from violence and abuse
For more info on healthy relationships visit, loveisrespect.com